Thursday, February 21, 2013

Time



I never have enough of it. And yet, I spend so much of it doing things that don't fill me with joy or excitement or feelings of enrichment.

For Lent this year, I'm taking a chance at something my church calls "The Leap of Faith." It couldn't have come at a better time and I'm so thankful to have the opportunity to take part in this with others. I won't go through the whole thing here but for me, this Leap of Faith is opening up a world of opportunity where I can do the things and be the person I want to be.

I'm letting go of a few things that don't enrich my life and in fact, have started to dampen it. One of the more trivial sounding "fasts" I'm going on is of Facebook. It sounds pathetic but for me, Facebook has become not only a time suck where I could be spending more quality time with anyone and everyone and getting more done around the apartment during the week, but also a source of self-doubt, anxiety, and envy about other people's lives.

I am happy. I am so, so happy in where my life stands today. I am so excited and fulfilled by training for the marathon, I have the funniest and most loving roommate of all time:), I really enjoy my job, I have health, I have amazing friends, and there are so many things I can and should be grateful for at every moment of the day. Still - I find myself focusing on the negatives and my anxieties about what may come of the future or of how people perceive me and my character so.much.of.the.time.

Through this Lenten period, I want to free myself of the negatives and actively pursue (and enjoy!) the positives that are happening around me. I can't begin to imagine how much time I'll be able to free up if I can truly step away from these all-consuming worries - not to mention the black hole that is Facebook.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll have more time for the beautiful act of blogging.

No comments: