Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Living with a Lunatic


Even-keeled. Calm. Unexcitable. Composed. Steady. Undisturbed.

These are all words that have been used to describe Jordan Burke - yeah, that guy up there in front of the TV cameras. As an athlete and a professional, Jordan has proven that he can get the job done no matter what the pressure, the excitement around him and the challenge he's facing. This goes for everything in his life - sports, work and his biggest challenge of all, me. 

Except there's just this one thing:
He's a complete lunatic. 

What all of you aren't seeing is what happens to this creature during NHL playoffs. I knew what I was getting myself into when I married this freak, but during the 10 months out of the year that playoffs are not happening - I'm blinded by all of that tranquility he exudes - just like all of you.

But during the playoffs, everything changes.
He's on edge. He throws things. He yells. He kicks inanimate objects. He shoves handfuls of chocolate covered anything down his throat. He runs into walls and trips over shoes while attempting to fill a glass of water when the game is on. He pours glass after glass of whiskey - straight up. He pouts like 4-year-old who was just scolded in the middle of Legoland and told that he in fact will NOT be going home with any toys today. He curses. And sometimes, just sometimes, he yells and jumps and laughs like a hyena when the Caps do something great. 

One thing is for sure - he becomes the complete OPPOSITE of those choice adjectives up there.
And in case you're wondering, I avoid all eye contact.
I mind my business. 
I sit on the other side of the room.
I only speak when spoken to.

For the love of God - I can only hope we win it all.
I was never meant to be the calm one.


1 comment:

Sarah Lapicki said...

hahahahaha I love this! Morg-- I can't even IMAGINE you as the calm one!