Monday, September 17, 2012

North Enders



Luckily for me and everyone that has come in my path over the last few months, that up there is the view we have from our common roof deck at the new "diggs".

No, I don't call them diggs either but whatever, you get my point.

In March, Jordan and I started thinking about looking at Open Houses. Just for kicks, really, since we spent most of our nighttime hours watching House Hunters in between all those darn Hockey games. But then, the frugal/deal-loving side of us started thinking about the fact that interest rates were hitting their historical lows (or something like that) and that maybe, just maybe, we should think about buying a condo!

So after spending every weekday constantly refreshing the MLS feed of new home listings and our entire Sundays spent opening the closet doors of complete strangers, we put an offer on a place we LOVED in Charlestown (home of The Town and not as scary as it's portrayed). Without completely boring you to death, we got outbid by some maniac who PAID CASH for this beautiful 2 br condo. 

The North End, where we have lived and where we love, is way more expensive and we really didn't think it would be possible for us to live there. And while having 2 bedrooms was an absolute "must-have" - we asked to see this amazing one bedroom just hours after it went on the market. 

It. Was. Awesome. 
And we got it.

And, unlike almost every other place we looked at, it had a nice kitchen, all wood floors, tons of windows, and best of all, a roof deck! And if you know me, you'll understand that the fact that the layout is almost exactly the same as our old place (only way bigger) was a big seller for me. 

I need transition...not huge changes.

And you're probably also thinking, 

"You mean you like having no doors?"

Yes, yes I do. In a big city, I feel in more control when I can hear everything. And yes, the bathroom has doors but nothing else does. And...only downside is that we still don't have a second bedroom but TOUGH.

We did not hire movers. 
Jordan was still in season when we were moving. 
We bought a dolly. 
I almost hired a hit man to kill our mortgage broker.
I wish I was kidding.
I spent many nights wheeling one or two boxes down the street at a time. 
I complained almost the whole time. 
One day, I even dropped our only set of keys down the elevator shaft.
I cried a lot that day.
We are still not finished.
I've had a headache since July.
But here are the before pics.
I can't WAIT to show you the final product.
...if it EVER gets done.





That crazy thing up there? That might be my only real DIY project... but give me some time.

So...despite the fact that we actually lived like THIS for a few weeks...
at least it's almost over. We think.

More to come on what we've done to the place
or should I say
what we've paid other people to do since we are:
1. Not handy
2. Unable to maintain a healthy work-life balance as it is
3. Not handy...at all

Oh and there will be many a shout out to my awesome friend Ashley from Marla Ruby Design for helping me make my ideas a reality. In due time.

No comments: